Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October happenings.

James and I have been trying to be productive with the house.  A few weeks ago we organized and purged A LOT from the basement.  It is a lot more helpful to have things lined up on shelves, labels front facing.  We bought a set of lockers for our mud room and have cleaned them up and repainted them in a lovely shade of WHITE.  I had major decision problems so decided white would delay the decision making.  Works for me.   We are also redoing a dresser for a new buffet.  I'm excited!  Photos to come.  Also, new lighting for our rockin' patio space.  It feels overwhelming at times to attempt to do anything but the day to day but it is nice to get them accomplished... however slow it may be.

iphone photo of our patio progress last night.  Next spring it will be more decorated with pottery but I couldn't find anything that I liked this year.  I may have to DIY some planters.


The last couple of weeks have been hairy to say the least.  Sick children.  Behavior issues (we won't go there right now).  My work picked up all at once with a bunch of work to do.  James' work has been insane and he has been working a LOT of late nights and weekends.  Field trips, halloween class party prep and costumes (thankfully I had a HUGE help from Judy, my MIL), doctor appointments for the kids and I.... way too many for me because of my injured back.  I did manage to get the winter coats and hats out in time for the freezing weather that came our way so quickly.  Life is so busy.

BUT with that busy busy... I had some amazing times.

A girl day with the girls.  We had a school field trip for Izzie and Berlin's school was cancelled due to a funeral of a school official.  SO girl day.  We went to Starbucks for some pumpkin scones and drinks.  Then to the Detroit Zoo.  We spent the morning there and then headed to Somerset for lunch and a little shopping.  It was great.  I'm always amazed at how mature Berlin is becoming.

Elijah's parent/teacher conferences went SUPER.  He is doing fantastic... especially with math.  His reading is coming along so quickly as well.  This week he read his first longer book (one without 2 words per page).  I haven't forced it on him at all and he is now to the point that he is so excited about reading that he can't stop.  He reads everywhere we go.  We bought him a new book called Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons.  He has read it all by himself at least 10 times aloud to James and I.   "Mom, Mom, can I read this to you again?"   AH, love it.






James and I also got a date night last week after conferences!  We went out for dinner at the Union Woodshop in Clarkston.  They have some fun drink concoctions.  I tried a new one for an appetizer and opened new horizons with the Porker... ignoring my distaste of the name of the burger I was about to consume.  It was delish.  We had actual conversation without interruptions and a lot of laughing, considering I had a drink for an appetizer.  It was a nice time.

Also, my mom decided to make a boatload of jams and butters which were so lovingly gifted to our family.  AMAZE!  Peach, apple, pumpkin, strawberry, and raspberry!  Cheers to fall!



0 comments: